Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Spitballing - "The Sound and the Fury" (The Flash)


I have been waiting to see the Pied Piper on my television screen for literal years.  (And no, a two-second cameo doesn't COUNT, Justice League: Unlimited.)  A split-second after they announced the new Flash series, I was already thinking I hope Piper makes an appearance.

No WAY was I about to let this episode go by without throwing a few spitballs.

**Normally I don't post spoiler warnings, but since this episode is still so new at the time of this posting, I'm putting one right now.**

My wish list for this episode was so ridiculously low, I'm pretty sure I just saw a snake jump over it.  Basically, all I wanted was a) for Piper to not be a big gay stereotype (if he so much as looked like Jack McFarlane I would have punched the screen), and b) for Piper to either reform at the end, or for the writers to leave the door open for future appearances where he could potentially reform.  Both of those points were accomplished, so I'm happy, but what about the rest of the episode?

I'm not entirely sure I can get behind the portrayal of Hartley Rathaway in this.  He's a massive prick--not that he couldn't be in the comics, and I do kind of get why they made him that way.  He was kicked out of his home by his parents who now utterly refuse to acknowledge him (as we saw in "Revenge of the Rogues" last week), so with parents like that, I can only imagine how awful his childhood must have been, especially if he realized he was gay at a young age.

That's not to excuse his behavior, mind, because there really was no excuse for that.  But I see where the creators were coming from.  I just personally would have preferred if he was slightly less of a snob.

Hey, I just noticed--Hartley's evil plans were basically Loki's from The Avengers.  He causes trouble, gets captured on purpose, and busts out again having accomplished what he wants.  Given that Hartley is also not straight and already has a sizable female fanbase, does this make Piper the DC's version of Loki?  Will I be seeing a million fan-fics depicting him as an innocent misunderstood baby who just needs love and sex?  Wait, why am I typing this instead of looking for those fics right now?

Also, why is he into chess instead of music?  Music was his entire schtick in the comics.  Couldn't you at least have had him listening to a Queen song?  Had him play a flute in flashback?  Hell, isn't Andy Mientus a singer?  Why would you hire a SINGER to play a MUSIC-THEMED villain and then have no song?  Hartley without music is like Flash with a green suit.  It violates like fifteen laws of nature.

Speaking of green, Piper's costume needed some.  Bad.  I understand they'd want to get rid of the polka dots, but I don't think a little green is too much to ask.

Also, I can't possibly be the only one who thought there was something going on between Wells and Rathaway.  I just can't.  Wells says that Rathaway will always be his "number one guy" (or words to that effect), Rathaway is always on about how much Wells hurt him, and right before the climax Rathaway snidely asks Wells "Am I still your guy?"  I don't know if this was foreshadowing, subtext, or good old-fashioned queer baiting--that will be determined by their future interactions or lack thereof--but I don't care HEADCANON ACCEPTED: HARRISON WELLS IS BISEXUAL.  PASS IT ON.  I will actually be surprised if there aren't already two fan-fics out there depicting this very thing.  Also, I will be disappointed.  Do not disappoint me, internet.

The Barry/Iris relationship continues to bore.  I got enough of that "I can't be with my crush or tell her my secret identity because that would endanger her life even though she's already been kidnapped a zillion times" schlock from Tobey Maguire, thanks.  Though at least this time the love interest is black, so kudos for diversity at least.

You know what?  This show would be better if they renamed it The Rogues and told everything from the villain's perspectives.  Not only are Captain Cold and Heatwave effing hilarious (and Piper actually said "time to pay the piper," so he's clearly got some theatricality in him), but I could watch them fight over their shares of the take or the last beer in the fridge instead of Barry being stupid and Iris being cliché.  Someone commission a spinoff, please!

Overall, I did like this episode.  I just think there's room for expansion and improvement, and fortunately, the producers have left the door wide open on that front.  I look forward to seeing where they take this.

Also, this was a weird place to name-drop Mason (Troll)Bridge but okay, sure, why not.  When's Piper gonna be back?

Image from The Flash

No comments:

Post a Comment